Online fundraising is really very, very simple. One, it’s relatively painless to fundraise for a cause through email. Any rejection is subtle – the people you’re asking just don’t respond if they choose not to donate. Two, most people donate because they’re asked by a friend or family member. “If you don’t ask, you don’t get” (Gandhi). And three, small donations really do add up.
Here’s how to get started. It will only take a few minutes:
- Go to http://www.firstgiving.com/4220
- Click on the button “Start Fundraising”
- Select the type of page you’d like to create – it can be in memory of someone, for an occasion, or just because.
- Follow the steps to add a photo or picture, and add your own message. The more personal the message, the better response you will get. Share why you invest in SAVE, why the work we do is important, why you’re creating a fundraising page. Your contacts will enjoy learning about why you are supporting SAVE and will then donate.
- Set your own fundraising goal.
- Note that you can choose how much donor information to include on your page. For instance, you may include the donor’s name and comments, but not the amount.
- If you’d like, personalize the thank you email (recommended).
- Save your changes.
- Send an email to all your contacts. Do NOT use the option from FirstGiving to send the email, or else the message may end up in Junk/Spam because it comes from email@example.com. Instead, use your own personal email to send the message. Copy and paste the content of your fundraising page and include the link to your Firstgiving page.
- Wait for the donations to start flowing in!
See, wasn’t that easy?